700 Years of the Rectors of Lound

Find out the history of our rectors from 1310!

Take a step into the past with St John the Baptist Church Lound

In the Beginning…

Alan de Lound 1310
The first rector – Alan de Lound was appointed in 1310 .

Henry de Jahele 1310
His successor Henry de Jahele was also appointed in 1310 there is no available personal history of either of the first two rectors.

Stephen de Herlyngflete 1325
The third rector here between 1325 and 1349 is noted as having been involved in the hospital of St Giles in Norwich. In 1324 he along with others gave one messuage of 8 acres to the charity.

Richard de Hadesco 1349

William son of Humphrey De Toftes 1349
Unfortunately we have no individual accounts of these two incumbents, Richard de Hadesco 1349 and William son of Humphrey de Toftes also 1349, their names indicate a strong local connection and the date coinciding with the time of the Black Death may reflect how uncertain life was at that period.

John Everard 1365
It is clear that as the following rector John Everard was not appointed until 1365 that he escaped this fate. He left a will but as this was written in Latin we have not yet been able to obtain a translation to make this more understandable.

Bertelot 1377
There may be some confusion about the Bertelot brothers as it was Robert Bertelot who was an incumbent before his brother John Bertelot de Snetterton filled the post between 1377 and 1404. Robert Bertelot wrote a will in 1389, unfortunately we have no translation of the Latin. John presented a new font to the church and the inscription is still legible possibly because some protection was given to it by plastering to stop too much of a Puritan purge on church decoration. The inscription is in Latin ‘Orate pro anima domini Johanne Bertelot rectories ecclesiae de Lound qui fecit fieri hune fontem baptismalem’ translated ‘Pray for the soul of Sir John Bertelot rector of the church of Lound who caused this font to be.’

Galfridus Symond 1404

John Brown 1405

Edmund Sweyn 1425

We are still in need a translation of his will, again written in Latin. Of course at that time Latin was the language of the liturgy and priests were considerable scholars.

Edmund atte Welle 1429
We will understand a lot more of their every day life and priorities when his will is translated.

Thomas Prymor 1450
The only details available are in his Latin will.

Thomas Ennok 1460

Thomas Crosse 1475

John Bendys 1479

Robert Barker 1482
Research so far has not been able to find any personal information on any of them- while reflection on the variety of their names is intriguing. Vestments worn at this time show how little ecclesiastical fashion has changed from then.

Robert Weting 1489
Appointed Prior of the House of Cluniac Monks Priory of Thetford in 1480.

John Talyor 1492
There are no added appointments known.

William Begham
It is not recorded when William Begham took over the incumbency, and no details are known of him.

Peter Major 1515
Again we have no personal account of his life.

Thomas Hodgeson 1523
Some insight of his personal life and generosity to the poor is set out in detail in his will – as this runs to several pages the whole copy is set out below.

John Redwiche 1566

James Aspinall 1573

Neither have left us any record of their families, interests or property.

Robert Melling 1579
Did have a will written in English with a detailed list of his possessions even if the spelling has altered a little since then! As the probate date for this will is 1608 it seems likely that this is when the next rector came to the parish although not noted on our display list.

John Tubbing

Robert Hobson 1670
The long gap in the dates is intriguing, obviously with much upheaval in church affairs and with the bible printed, and in English perhaps appointments to country parishes were difficult. It is very disappointing that we have no details of the life of either incumbent. Perhaps the Civil War was too pressing for personal affairs to be important.The timeline on the diocesan website does indicate instructions about proper clerical garb in 1636 so the church didn’t stop issuing edicts.

John Smyth 1681

Francis Langley 1690

Robert Barron 1691
Also left no details.

Robert Camell 1717
Distinguished as an author and noted assistant in local history and was elected a lecturer of St Peter’s Mancroft in 1731. The portrait of him was purchased by the National Portrait Gallery in 1966.

Samuel Killet 1733
The next incumbent was Samuel Killet but although he was obviously in post for a considerable time we have no record of his life.

Norton Nicholls 1767
Ordained in 1767 and later that year instituted rector of Lound and Bradwell. He lived in Blundeston as there was no rectory in Lound then. He was a great friend of Thomas Gray who frequently visited him. He had lots of interests – he designed the gardens at Herringfleet Hall and started a brickmaking enterprise in Bradwell to supply bricks for buildings on church owned lands. The portrait shows an elegantly dressed man! His will indicates a respectable fortune for the time.

George Anguish 1810
His family owned the Somerleyton estate from the previous century, he was the last of them to live there and the second cleric from the family.

Edward Thurlow 1816 1824
Ordained in 1812, he became Rector of Lound and Ashby in 1817.and Rector of Langham in 1824.
His father was a canon of Norwich Cathedral and was born there in 1788. He died in London in 1883 at the age of 95. 

Charles Dowson 1839
There must be some more personal history for this rector that lies behind the notice in the Ipswich Journal where he refuses to recognise his wife’s debts!

Richard Hudson Gibson 1868
Attended King Edward VI school in Birmingham and graduated from Trinity College Cambridge, He was appointed Curate of St Martin at Palace Norwich 1850, moved to Rickinghall Superior 1852 and then moved to the Isle of Wight 1864. He was appointed Rural Dean of Lothingland 1874 and Honorary Canon of Norwich 1886 and Archdeacon of Suffolk 1892. He is buried outside the priests door in Lound next to his wife Anne and son Richard. Not only a distinguished priest but his family dedicated the stained glass windows to the north and south of the chancel in Lound to the memory of him and his wife.

 

Edgar Mack 1904
Edgar Mack spent some years in Truro before coming back to these parts. He was Rector of Lammas in Norfolk from 1893 and vicar of Runham 1901. He was appointed curate of Lound in 1902 and was instituted as Rector here in 1904.

Booth Hodgetts Lynes 1908
Born in 1867 he was the third son of the Rev John Lynes. Educated at Charterhouse his first post was as Deacon of Rochester in 1892. He was a man of wealth and gave generously to the poor and needy in Lound and he regularly visited all families no matter what creed. Food and clothing was sent to anyone on hard times. Mrs Lynes taught at the village school and was also organist and choirmaster at church. Every St John the Baptist day there would be a party with sports at the Rectory for everyone in the village. Booth Lynes was responsible for the fine work in the church designed by Comper which he funded himself – the post cards show views of the church before these changes. Not everyone supported the fine gilded work. Word is that the outbreak of WW1 meant a change in financial circumstances and he moved first to the Nottingham area then was appointed vicar of Beneden in Kent before retiring to Frome and he died in 1933.It was during his office that the wall painting of St Christopher was undertaken by H Bernard Smith under the direction of Comper.

Leonard Plumpton Howes 1917
He was educated at Chichester College and his early career included Acting Chaplain to Sisters of the Church in Kilburn, before coming to Norfolk and Suffolk. It was during his time that the War Memorial designed by Comper and costing £100 was installed, the vestments chest made by John Girling of Long Stratton was purchased for £24 and the vestry was built in 1924 which including furniture cost less than £500.

Apparently he was known in the village as ‘Holy Joe’- a good man but a bit overbearing!

Kenneth Corbould 1926
Educated at Chichester College and Durham University. His early posts were in London before he came to Lound.He kept very precise records of all events in the Church calendar. It is said that much to the disgust of the parishioners after Mass on Sundays he frequently played tennis at Herringfleet Hall.

Stephen Jeffery 1936
He was appointed Rector shortly after his wife had been made headmistress of the village school. Born in 1898 his early career was in the south of the country. Sadly their life was overshadowed by the death of their son, Peter who was killed in action in WW2 in 1940.

Linton Shields 1943
He was appointed to Lound after many protest meetings and letters to the Bishop that a low churchman was required. He tried to meet the people’s wishes by having a Matins service before Mass each Sunday. This was stopped owing to poor attendance. Dr Shields was in great demand to perform organ recitals throughout the area and taught both piano and organ – Dorothy Wright was one of his outstanding pupils, who in turn has taught so many in the area and passed on her love of music. Apparently he was a well-liked man in the Parish and it was a shock when he announced that he was ‘going over to Rome’ because he could not agree with the Church of England attitude towards divorce and the receiving of Holy Communion.

Wilfred Mee 1958
Rev Mee was born in 1905 and educated at Lincoln Theological College and spent all his life in this area. His first posts were in Norwich and he became curate of Attleborough 1946 and perpetual curate of Old Buckenham in 1951. Every year he invited theological students to stay at the Rectory for tuition and discussions. He spent his retirement in Hellesdon.

Michael Burlton 1965
Born in 1918 he was educated at Ely and Chichester. His first post was in Lichfield in 1942. A very good man, visiting every one in the village regularly. These were times of change and Blundeston with Flixton was joined with Lound in 1976 and he was also Curate in charge of St Edmund Fritton. Michael Burlton was the last Rector to live in Lound Rectory and shortly after he moved the house was sold to Mr and Mrs John Harris who extensively renovated the property – for example adding some heating to those huge rooms.

Michael Mountney 1983
Joined the Group after being chaplain to All Hallows convent. During his incumbency he oversaw the huge project of considerable restoration work needed for the tower. After leaving Lound he became part of a team ministry in Norwich and Warden of the Julian Shrine. While there he wrote a book ‘Sin shall be a Glory’ based on the revelations of Julian. Subsequently he moved to Embleton in Northumberland.

John Hunt 1989-1994
Rev Hunt  took over after a long interregnum, when the previous candidate for the incumbency could nor reconcile his family to the move to the area. He was very active in local affairs and a strong supporter for the building of the new village hall in Lound and the instigator of our annual Flower Festival. In wanting to draw more of the community into church he instituted a family service once a month.

He moved from here to Kessingland and Gisleham.

Jonathan Riviere 1994-2004
Again a multi-talented minister – he at first worked as an estate land agent before taking up his church career in Old Buckenham and as curate at Wymondham Abbey. He was the first rector appointed to the six parishes of the Somerleyton group. Much admired here he was tempted away by the offer of working at Sandringham!

Roger Kent 2004-2009
Born in Nairobi Roger came back to the UK as a child to live in Gorleston. He went to Greshams, but it was when they moved to the Lake District that he met a priest at the school there who influenced him in his choice of career. He studied at the University of Kent and then at St Stephens House in Oxford where he trained for the ministry, being ordained in 1982. He became a curate first in Ipswich, then in Poplar where he kept fit with boxing, cycling and canoeing. He then went to Kent as a vicar to 3 parishes. In 1995 Roger moved to Prague to be chaplain to the English speaking community and renew his family link to his Czech origins. While there he met Pope John Paul II. He returned to the UK in 1999 and became a team vicar in Cullercoats. He was instituted here in 2004 as rector to the six parishes, and said he liked being here. His kindness and generosity were evident. He was a strong advocate of Christian Aid and increased the home bible study group sessions.

All the parishes grieved at his sudden death in 2009.

Leslie Hobbs 2009
Born in Winchester in 1942, he went to Bexhill County Grammar School for Boys before going on to study for a philosophy degree at the University of Sussex. He also took a degree in theology from the London Bible College.

In 1968 he became a Baptist minister in Renfrewshire and in 1973 Baptist minister and university chaplain at St Andrew’s Fife. In 1976 went to Garth Hill School Bracknell to teach religious education and be Head of Year, and in 1996 moved his career to Gorleston to teach religious education at Cliff Park High School. Ordained Deacon in Norwich in 2002 and priest in 2003, he became assistant curate to the Somerleyton group of churches in 2002 and appointed rector in 2009.

For those who feel we don’t keep him busy ALL the time he does like to spend a few minutes enjoying reading, crosswords, leider and opera when he isn’t collecting bank notes or doing the ironing! He did not make the stole he wore when he was ordained – his sisters Maggie and Gwen did.

We are very grateful to Beryl Ellingford and Rita Flatt for working so hard compiling this information kindly released from the archives by the Suffolk Record office.

Find out the history of our rectors from 1310!

Take a step into the past with St John the Baptist Church Lound...
Read More

The Church Flower Festival
in pictures

A pictorial journey through this years very successful Flower Festival...
Read More

Our services for this
coming month

Why not come and join one of our services this month? A warm welcome awaits you...
Read More